Monday, March 12, 2012

Sitting in context/Duality - Project Summary

This project was one of the most interesting and challenging projects that I have done this year. I learned how to build a 3-dimensional, functional piece of furniture, how to work with cardboard, and how to draw in 2-point perspective, just to name a few.

One of the most challenging parts of this project was the first assignment. I did not think that my brain could wrap itself around the concept of making a sit-able seat out of one sheet of cardboard, yet I surprised myself. One of the most challenging parts was not being able to use adhesives and not being able to cut the cardboard apart. One thing I learned from that experience was that sometimes you have to let go of a notion, such as what makes a chair a chair, and try to consider other options.

Another challenging part of this assignment was getting familiar with the
material. Cardboard can be a difficult material to work with. I soon learned that the blade of my utility knife had to be changed multiple times in order to salvage my edges. I also came to find that I found it easier not working with adhesives. I used a slotting technique in order to secure the cardboard. I also used two sheets in the cross sections to make the seat sturdier.

 Another aspect of this project that I found difficult was translating my
relationship with my sister into a tangible seat design. I did find that the brainstorming method of making word lists was extremely helpful. In the end, I was very content with the design of my chair and felt that it expressed my
relationship effectively. The hours of work put into the final design along with the sentimental meaning behind the chair made it a very satisfying final
product.

If I were to change something about my final design, I would make the chair slightly smaller and put more thought into the cut-out design on the chair. I felt that the chair was slightly too large for comfort. Also, I based my cut-out design loosely on the concept of my four sisters and our relationship. Although I was happy with the final look and aesthetic, I wish the symbols had a more specific meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment